Mark your calendar. Set your alarm. If you need health insurance coverage, Open Enrollment for 2020 coverage starts on November 1, and ends on December 15, 2019. Whether you are re-enrolling or are applying for coverage for the first time, here are some tips to make the process easy.
Get It Together! What you need…
- Get familiar with the Marketplace by reading these quick tips. Find answers to your most common questions.
- Download this checklist (PDF, 163 KB) to make sure you have everything you need. When you apply, you’ll be asked about your household, income, and current coverage and may need to refer to specific documents, like W-2s, pay stubs, or tax returns. Gathering what you need now will save you time later.
- Make a list of questions before it’s time to choose your health plan. For example, “Can I stay with my current doctor?” or “Will this plan cover my health costs when I’m traveling?” Get tips on choosing a health insurance plan.
- How much can you afford to spend on care. There are different types of health plans for different needs and budgets. You’ll need to figure out how much you’re able to spend on premiums each month, and how much you can pay out-of-pocket for prescriptions or medical services. See how your total costs work together.
- If you’re planning to renew your current coverage for 2020, review your 2019 application to make sure it’s still accurate. If it’s not, update it with any income and/or household changes. This will save you time when you apply because your 2020 application will be pre-filled with your 2019 information. And did the 2019 coverage you selected meet your needs? This is the time to make sure you have adequate coverage.
For more information go to www.healthcare.gov